Areas of Law / Property

I need to find out who owns an unoccupied property nearby, but I find it’’s not registered at the Land Registry. I have contacted the local authority to enquire who is responsible for council tax payments, but they say disclosure would be in breach of data protection. Is this correct? Where do I go from here?

The electoral register is open to inspection of course, but council tax records aren’’t. In this situation your best bet is to ask at nearby properties to see if anybody knows the owner or their whereabouts. Unregistered properties especially risk being appropriated by squatters. Anyone could move in and claim ownership after 12 years’ unchallenged occupation.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms