Areas of Law / Conveyancing

I lived with a man for 15 years until he left me three years ago. He sees our son every week but pays nothing towards his upkeep or towards the mortgage on the house we bought together. He now wants me to sell the house so he can get his share of the equity, which will come to around £30,000. Can he do this?

He can try, but he will have difficulty unless your son has left school. Your former partner will have to persuade the court that it was appropriate to order a sale after taking into account your intentions, the purpose of the joint purchase and the welfare of your son. In the circumstances he would have an uphill struggle. See a solicitor. You should refer the maintenance for your son to the Child Maintenance Service.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms