Areas of Law / Property

I live in a terraced house where the property next door has remained empty for 20 years. I know who owns it, but he won’’t do anything with it.

You could talk to your local councillor about the possibility of the council taking over the property through an Empty Dwelling Management Order. Most councils have an officer responsible for dealing with empty property. These days you can petition the council to bring about changes to your area, so if you can get everyone in the street involved your petition may carry more weight. If the council contacts the owner of the house about his plans for it, it might at least prompt him into action.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms