Areas of Law / Property

I live in a cul-de-sac serving 17 houses. The road hasn’t been adopted by the council and is full of pot-holes. If someone was injured or a car was damaged, who would be responsible: the individual householder in front of whose property the accident occurred, or all 17 householders collectively?

Generally the person who owns the section of road where the accident occurred would be liable. I would expect each house owner to own the section in front of his or her property, but check your title deeds to confirm this. If you notify the local authority of the potential danger it’s possible the council will adopt the road and maintain it in future but it may well ask the householders in the cul-de-sac (assuming they own the road) to meet the initial cost of bringing it up to standard.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms