Areas of Law / Debt matter

I let a property 12 years ago to a tenant who put my name down as the person responsible for paying the water bill. The water board took the case to court and won judgment against me, although I didn’t find out about this until the tenant left. Do I have to declare the fact that there is a County Court Judgment against me to my insurers etc, since my name was used fraudulently?

If it might affect their willingness to offer you insurance you should tell them about it, but it’s not necessary to refer to your County Court Judgment if they’re simply inquiring about your ability to pay the premiums. However a CCJ should be removed from your credit reference file after six years. You could probably have asked the court to set the judgment aside since you didn’t receive the claim forms.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms