Areas of Law / Employment

I have worked for the same company for many years. Unfortunately the firm has signed an agreement with the trade unions allowing it to make employees take time off during slack periods and work longer when it’s busy. I don’t know the details of the agreement but I was wondering if I would be entitled to ask for redundancy?

Your terms and conditions of employment can be altered by agreement. It’s likely that you will be offered something extra in return for more flexible working practices. I take it you are bound by a collective agreement (probably whether you are or aren’t a member of the union). In that case you can’t argue if the agreement doesn’t suit you. You won’t be entitled to a redundancy payment unless your job disappears altogether.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms