Areas of Law / Property

I have lived in this house for 35 years without paying rent. When my father died some years ago I discovered my sister had made him draw up a deed of conveyance signing the property over to her son. What’s the position with my home?

If your nephew does own the house (you could check this at the Land Registry) he would need a court order to get you out, although since the transfer appears to have taken place some time ago it suggests that he is happy for you to continue to live there. If there’s any pressure on you to leave you should see a solicitor, since your status as occupier could be problematic: certainly if you’re elderly and have nowhere else to go the court may allow you to stay indefinitely.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms