Areas of Law / Landlord and Tenant Law

I have been renting out a flat for years. For the first time recently a tenant left owing hundreds of pounds in rent. How can I recover this money owing to me? He also took fixtures and fittings without permission.

If you’ve had no trouble before you’ve either been very lucky or very astute in selecting your tenants. If you know where your tenant is you can sue him for the money he owes you in the County Court. Write first letting him know this is what you intend. If, as is often the case, your tenant has disappeared without a trace you need to take steps to prevent a recurrence, for example by setting the deposit at a sufficient level and taking immediate action when a tenant defaults on a rent payment.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms