Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I have been married seven years, but the house belongs to my husband. He has four children. If he died, would the house automatically be mine? He hasn’t made a will. Would his children have any rights over the property?

Since your husband hasn’t made a will, his estate – including the house –would be dealt with under intestacy rules. Under these rules you as his spouse would be entitled to the first £250,000 of his estate and half of the remainder. His children would split the other half between them. Although you could apply for a larger share it’s possible you would not even get the house outright, which could result in a conflict with your stepchildren. You need to discuss this with your husband and a solicitor and make wills.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms