Areas of Law / Conveyancing

I had some double glazing done and intended to pay for it through a finance company. When they sent a bill for £2800 plus exorbitant interest I cancelled the agreement within the five-day period allowed. Now they want £250 as a “loss of commission” penalty. Do I owe the double glazing firm £2800 or £3050?

You owe the double glazing company £2800, because your windows have been delivered and fitted. Cancellation of the finance agreement also cancels the window order, but because the order has been carried out you owe the agreed price, unless you want the windows removing. Accordingly send your cheque for £2800 and state that it is in full and final settlement. If the double glazing company pursues its claim for £250, refer the firm to section 69.1 and 69.4 of the Consumer Credit Act.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms