Areas of Law / Debt matter

I defaulted on my credit card more than two years ago. I’ve been trying to pay the debt off since, but when I approached a lender about a mortgage I was refused. Is there any way I can repair my credit rating?

It depends on your financial situation. I take it the credit card firm took you to court, so that you now have a County Court Judgment against your name on the records supplied by the credit reference agencies. This will be removed after six years, but most lenders will require evidence that the debt has been repaid. You may find someone prepared to lend you money at that point if you can show that your income is sufficient to repay the loan you wish to take out, but you may have to pay a steeper rate of interest.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms