Areas of Law / Conveyancing

I bought a house last year with a mortgage, and recently other houses on my street have started showing signs of subsidence. Where can I get information about coal seams etc so that I can check that my conveyancer and surveyor did their jobs properly?

Depending on where you live your conveyancer should have obtained a mining report from the Coal Authority in Mansfield. Most solicitors have maps showing which areas are affected. Ask your conveyancer if he or she obtained a report, and if so, for a copy. In this area it would almost be more surprising to find that there weren’t old mine workings under your house. If you think your house is suffering from subsidence you should contact your buildings insurers. However the Coal Authority has a subsidence helpline: 0345 7626848.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms