Areas of Law / Property

I bought a flat with my partner but moved out two years ago. I now want to take my name off the mortgage and our joint bank account, but although I have sent him the forms he has ignored them.

You can’t make him sign the forms, but as long as you don’t have children living at your former address you should be able to make him sell up, and you can make an application to the court to force a sale. Ask a solicitor to write to your ex-partner telling him this is what you’re planning. If he can afford the mortgage on his own he may be prepared to buy out your share without the necessity for you to go to court.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms