Areas of Law / Property

I bought a bungalow four years ago on a very small development. I was told there was planning permission for more houses opposite, but now, behind them, a large factory has gone up and the entrance and a large sign are directly in my view. I’m trying to sell my house, but potential buyers are all put off by the factory. Do I have a claim against the factory for lowering the value of my property?

I’m afraid the answer is no. The law in England and Wales doesn’t recognise the right to a view from one’s house, so a householder cannot go to court if the view is spoiled, even if it takes thousands of pounds off the value of the property. Your only solution might be to plant trees and shrubs at the bottom of your garden to screen the eyesore.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms