Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

I bought a house jointly with my fiancé, putting down a deposit of £6,000. I never actually moved in and we split up six months later. I gave him the option of buying me out, and when nothing happened I insisted it was put on the market but he’’s making no effort to sell.

You should try to reach agreement with your ex fiancé about selling the property, or the price he is to pay you for your share of the equity. If he does agree to buy you out he should remortgage so that you are released from any continuing responsibility to the current lender. I suggest you approach a solicitor to work out what your ex fiancé owes you and what you would accept in settlement. If you can’’t persuade him to co-operate you can apply for a court order to sell the property.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms