Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

I am likely to receive some money from the estate of a relative who died without making a will. Am I entitled to contact the solicitor dealing with the probate work for updates on progress and the likely financial outcome? The older relatives have barred me from contacting him. Do I have a right to do so?

No. One or more relatives more closely related to the deceased will have been granted letters of administration making them responsible for dealing with the estate, and it is to them that you should address your enquiries. If you’re constantly ‘phoning the solicitor for progress reports it’s just likely to put his fees up! Generally speaking administrators have a year to deal with the estate before being accountable to the beneficiaries.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms