Areas of Law / Small Business Legal Advice

I am a small retailer who’s taken a cheque for £1,000 from another retailer for some surplus stock. Now the cheque has bounced and I am getting empty promises. Can you advise me of the legal situation?

I’m afraid you may have lost your money. From a legal point of view you are not entitled to call round and take your goods back pending payment. You should have insisted on either cash or a bank transfer. You now have the option of suing in the County Court, but if the individual concerned owes money all over town you will have little chance of getting your cash. Alternatively you could contact the police. The buyer may have committed a criminal offence if he knew at the time he wrote the cheque that it wouldn’t be met by the bank.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms