Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

I’’ve been married for more than 15 years, and I wondered whether at this stage I can add my maiden name to my husband’s surname, or do I have to change my name by deed poll?

You can change your surname more or less as you choose as long as you are an adult and your motive isn’’t fraudulent. However if you wish to change the name on your bank account, with the Department for Work and Pensions or HMRC you may have to provide evidence that you have adopted a new name. The most formal method of regularising the change is to have a change of name deed drawn up by a solicitor. If you just wish to be known by your double-barrelled name this shouldn’’t be necessary though.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms