Areas of Law / Property

My husband died last summer. Our house is still in his name. I wonder if you could advise me how to go about putting it into mine? I ‘phoned the bank, which holds the title deeds, but they said they were waiting to hear from my solicitors. I am 80 and we have lived here for 45 years.

Because the house was in your husband’s name, steps have to be taken to put it into the name of his heir. This may well be you, but the bank needs to see legal proof before releasing the deeds, and so it will be necessary for you to obtain a grant of probate. I presume your husband left the house to you in his will. If he didn’t, or didn’t make a will, there may be complications. If you haven’t been to see a solicitor you should do so.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms