Areas of Law / Insurance law

My house insurers ask if there are any trees over three metres high within 30-35 metres of my property. The answer is that there are, but they are in my neighbour’s garden. Can we seek reimbursement from them of the higher premium we have to pay as a result?

No. Your neighbour(s) must take reasonable care to avoid acts or omissions which they could reasonably foresee would be likely to cause you injury or loss. However allowing a tree to grow in their garden would not be considered unreasonable and so you would have no grounds on which to seek to recover the increase in your insurance premium from them.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms