Areas of Law / Insurance law

My house was badly damaged by a lorry. On the day the council took over under section 78 of the Building Act 1984. I was only notified of this by letter 16 days later. I have now received an invoice for £9,000 and they have put a charge on my property. Am I responsible for paying this, and should I have been notified earlier?

Section 78 gives the local authority emergency powers to ensure the safety of dangerous structures. The legislation states that the local authority should “if reasonably practicable” give notice of their intention to the owner and occupier. It also states that they can recover from the owner expenses reasonably incurred by them in making the building safe. It’s not clear why it took so long for you to be notified, but hopefully the lorry’s insurers will foot the bill.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Very useful and professional advice, thank you.

Another Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms