Areas of Law / Property

My grandmother died three years ago and in her will left her house and contents to myself and my sister. However my sister, who lives in the house, refuses to acknowledge my half share. Can I claim rent from her? The deeds are still in my grandmother’s name, because my sister refuses to release them.

If the house was your sister’s home before your grandmother died she may have a right to stay on: I take it she was not given the right to continue living there under the terms of your grandmother’s will. That being the case you could claim rent from her, but you would need a compensation order under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 which would not necessarily be retrospective. I recommend you see a solicitor because this could be quite complicated.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms