Areas of Law / Debt matter

Some friends of mine haven’t had a lot of luck and lost a lot of money in a business venture. I was thinking of leaving them something in my will, but this may just prevent them claiming state benefits. Is there a way round this?

It may be better to help your friends out now, since voluntary payments by relatives, friends and charities are generally ignored for assessment purposes, unless the amount gives the recipient capital in excess of £16,000. However it may be possible to set up a trust to help them out when you’re gone. Discuss this with a solicitor. I should add that if you leave anything to someone who is still the subject of a bankruptcy order the money is likely to go to their creditors.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms