Areas of Law / Insurance law

You need insurance for just about anything these days from your car to your home and valued possessions, or if you are business owner, you need employer’s liability cover to protect you against claims against employees.

Whatever the policy, an insurance company has a legal obligation to meet the terms and conditions set out in your contract. If it fails to do so, the company will be in breach of contract.

Disputes rising as a result of insurance policy claims are becoming just as common as making the claims themselves. A dispute can be a result of a claim that has been rejected outright, or where the insurance company refuse to pay the full value of the claim, leaving you out of pocket.

Challenging insurance disputes can be complex, but there are options available for you to challenge these, and a solicitor who specialises in this area of the law will be able to advise you further.

Our free legal advice can assist when your insurance company has rejected your claim, refused to pay you what your claim is worth, or given some other reason not to pay you.

Still unsure?

if you’re looking for legal advice, take a look at some of the questions our lawyers have already answered to help you get advice on your insurance law query, or get in touch with one of our legal advisors today. Simply write your question in the box and our lawyers will handle the rest.

Free insurance legal advice at your fingertips.

Insurance law Questions

My flat was damaged when the toilet cistern in the flat above me overflowed while the owner was on holiday. His insurers will not pay out, on the basis that the owner had turned off his water supply before leaving and the leak was therefore unforeseeable. I feel that, since there are two full water tanks in his loft, he should have known that a leak was possible even if he turned his water off.

A friend had a car accident and authorised me to handle the claim for him. The insurance company took so long that they eventually promised to send me £50 by way of compensation. However they quickly reneged on this, claiming they did not owe me a duty of care. Surely I was entitled to the money once they’d made the promise?

I got a self-employed plasterer to do a bathroom ceiling for me. He accidentally put his foot through the bath, leaving a gaping hole. His insurance company says he wasn’t covered for “new for old”, so their offer is quite a bit short of what it will cost to replace the bath. Does this mean I will have to pay the difference?

Our house is covered by separate insurance policies for buildings and contents. After a storm, the buildings insurers paid out on a claim for missing roof tiles, but the contents insurers refused to pay for damage to a carpet caused by water coming in under the patio doors. I feel the damage must have been covered by one or the other!

By the time my endowment policy matures I will be 70. Can I assign it to one of my children, so that they will have a better chance of receiving the maximum sum? My insurance agent says not, but I know there’s a market in these policies.

More than ten years ago I took out a life assurance policy. I now calculate that the sum assured, £1225, has been covered by my £12 monthly premiums but I’ve now been told the surrender value comes to only £259 and I will have to continue paying if I wish the full amount to be paid out on my death. Is this legal?

During heavy rain water started coming through a bedroom ceiling. I contacted the insurers, who sent out a claims adviser, and was advised to get a roofer in. The bill came to £480, but the insurers are now refusing to pay out, saying the roofer told them there was no storm damage.

My daughter went to the doctor about an eye problem and two months later took out health insurance. Six months after that she was diagnosed as suffering from multiple sclerosis. The insurance company now says her policy is void, on the basis that her visit to the doctor was in connection with the MS.

It’s common practice these days for insurers to include on renewals an additional premium of around £15 for legal expenses cover. I currently have legal expenses cover on both my car and home contents policies: do I really need two lots of legal expenses cover?

Our service is completely free and we can help you.

Ask your question now

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms