Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

Building work next door has caused damp to come through into my kitchen and living room. I have asked the neighbour both verbally and in writing to make good the damage but he has made no effort to comply with my requests.

A solicitor’s letter often prompts people into action; if it doesn’t you may have to take the neighbour to court. If this becomes necessary you will need a surveyor’s report to confirm that the work next door was indeed responsible for the damage, and at least two estimates from builders for the cost of putting it right. If the next door neighbour is difficult you may also need a court order to allow the surveyor to enter his property.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms