Areas of Law / Divorce and Family

My boyfriend pays maintenance for his six-year-old son by his former partner, and sees him once a week. He’d like him to stay with us overnight or for a weekend. Is he entitled to this? His ex-partner says the boy is too young.

As a first step your boyfriend should try attending mediation with his ex-partner; he should ask a solicitor about this. If mediation doesn’t work, then he can apply to the court for extra contact. The court approaches the issue of contact from the point of view of how much contact is in the best interests of the child. If your boyfriend does not have “parental responsibility” (which would give him the same rights as a married father) he should apply to the court for an order giving him parental responsibility at the same time.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms