Areas of Law / General Legal Advice

My birth wasn’t registered, and I’m having difficulty obtaining a passport. I’ve been to several solicitors, but drawn a blank. Can you help?

Firstly you need to find out whether the name you’re currently using is the one you were born with. If possible discuss the problem with your mother. This will help you make an application to the General Register Office in Southport for a birth certificate. If they are unable to trace your birth they will send you a letter saying so. You will need a copy of this letter to apply for your passport. In addition you will have to supply the passport agency with as many details as you can from your early years, such as hospital records, medical records and school records in order to convince the passport agency that you have British nationality.

What our clients say about our lawyers

The advice provided was excellent and helped me in making key decisions.

A Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms