Areas of Law / Wills and Probate

My aunt promised to leave me her flat in her will because I’ve been looking after her. Unfortunately she’s now had to go into a nursing home. I have paid the £500 service charge on the flat. If social services make her sell it, will I be able to claim this money back?

Social services will probably put a charge on the flat so that they will receive payment for the care home fees when it comes to be sold. She will be allowed to retain some equity in the property, and if you haven’t already been reimbursed for paying the service charge at the time of your aunt’s death you should be able to apply to her executors for your £500. Your aunt could still leave you the flat; you could then choose to pay the fees owing or sell the flat to pay them.

What our clients say about our lawyers

I was very happy with everything about the service I received. Thank you.

A Happy Customer

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms