Areas of Law / Property

An old mill at the back of our houses has been converted into small units. When they built a car park they piled up earth round the edges of our gardens but they didn’t install any drainage. The result is that rainwater now comes through the mounds and floods our gardens. The landowners don’t seem to think it’s any concern of theirs.

Unless there’s something in your title deeds giving the car park owners the right to drain water on to your land (I think this is unlikely) you will probably be able to take them to court for “nuisance”. The owner may have to put in a drainage system for the car park and you may be entitled to compensation for the damage to your garden. I suggest you and your neighbours approach a solicitor jointly to present your case.

What our clients say about our lawyers

Thanks for supporting me with advice on this matter. I will definitely recommend you to others who may require your expertise.

Satisfied Client

Read More

About Us

Leading legal advisors, problem solvers – all round good guys! We’re firm believers in a practical, no nonsense approach to law. Forget the jargon, we like to keep it simple – why complicate matters? No stress, no worry, just straightforward solutions to your legal issues. Free legal advice at your fingertips, from the experts to your inbox. is owned and operated by Farleys Solicitors LLP, a member of The Law Society and is regulated in the practice of law by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, Registration No: 484687. Any advice given on this site or in response to any question is only applicable to the law of England and Wales.

Privacy Policy | Terms